Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fear Class 2

In continuation of last weeks class, we had a few more students who had to present their presentation. I think this weeks class was a bit better than last weeks. If you recall, I was not too fond of last weeks class because of the insincerity of the class itself. People spent more time laughing than actually experiencing the projects presented. I also kind of felt like studen'ts half-assed their assignments, for a lack of better words. What I mean is that some of the projects seemed more of an annoyance to people than an actual fear. For instance, my boyfriend says he is afraid of sand and pipe cleaners, but when I asked him why he just says he does not like the feeling of sand and pipe cleaners against his skin. It is not a fear, it is an annoyance.

One thing that got brought up in class today is whether we could take this seriously or not. My blog from last time that scrutinized one student's comments on how he thought fear could be controlled. When he was confronted with the comments this week, he change the way he had worded it last time. I might have actually given this student a chance to really speak on what he was saying had he actually put forth the effort on the assignment, and really inthralled himself in his research over controlling fear by looking at the psychoanalysis or case studies that have been done in the past on this subject. However, it was asked before the professor arrived by William if he just 'bullshitted' his assignment because he didn't have one done and the student laughed and was like "Yeah, pretty much". This is why I was so angry because he spoke about something he did not even put forth the effort to understand.

This goes hand in hand with next weeks class about what is important to us, and how many people are probabley going to say their religion. I am a christian, I will say it, but I have grown to understand and embrace other religions and beliefs as well. I feel most of the racism and prejudice comes from a lack of comprehension, and unwillingness to understand. If you do not, and cannot take the time and fully involved yourself in understand another person's views and fully research it, then you do not, by my opinion, have a justified right look down upon, or strike revelation upon another person, class, group, society, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment