Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself:

I fear a lot of things. Why, I cannot exactly explain. From my last blog post you can see how deep my fears run; so deep in fact that I had to stop the post and go draw my attention to something else. I hesitate even now typing this blog because it once again has to do with the topic of fear. In yesterday's class we began our expirements with fear as our subject. The idea was to figure out what people fear, and to use it to make them as uncomfortable as possible. A lot of student's though did not come prepared.

One student stood out to me in yesterday's class. I say this because this student irritated me to the point where I really wanted to say something. However, I resisted in hesitiation of starting an ugly debate. This student thought that fear was controllable. Well, that is should be. He thought it was odd that it is the one emotion that no one seems to have control over even though he strongly thinks it is controllable. He thinks people have the concious ability to not go into a state of fear.

However, when asked what he feared he could not answer. This leads me to believe this student has never been in a true state of fear. Fear is not controllable.  Being uncomfortable is. When I am truly afraid my body temperature increases, I cannot concentrate, I feel very nauseated. The only way to get myself unafraid is to distract myself. However, I do not find this a means of 'controlling' fear. To control fear it must never start in the first place. Fear is a primal state of vulnerability and your bodytakes over your concious will and overpowers you to protect you and let you know it does not like its environment. This is not your willpower of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment